Saturday, October 07, 2006

Pushcart Nominee Lawrence Lawson

This is the opening to a prose piece. Lawrence's work originally appeared in our 12th issue, and is available in its entirety by clicking here.


Mirrors Finding Floors

     When I first put my head to rest in Ukraine, there was advice tromping through it. The piece that stuck with me the longest, in the most troubling ways, was, "Ukraine will seem not very much different from home. Eventually, you'll see the differences. Then you'll understand culture shock."
     Ukraine's got houses. Ukraine's got TVs. Got internet and satellite cable. Ukraine's got houses bigger than I've ever seen in the States with every comfort that makes me uncomfortable. Everyone's got a cell phone. Hell, I've got a cell phone. I'm in Peace Corps, and I have a cell phone. And mine's a clunker compared to most of the phones my students have.
     But there's something else, like Nessie lurking below the water. Something lurking below the crest of the waves. In the shadows. It probably won't do you any harm. It probably won't clench your arm in its thick jaws and haul you down the alley, around the corner, and finish you off. No, it probably won't do that.
     But, then again, it is the shadows, and you can't really see.
     Or can you?


(This work is copyright protected, all rights reserved, and may not be reproduced without the express written consent of the author.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home