Saturday, July 15, 2006

2006 Fiction Contest Winners

I want to take this opportunity to personally thank all who participated in Perigee’s 2006 Fiction Contest.

Fiction is close to my heart. It is my passion and my craft. On my better days, I feel like I've got a handle on its secrets. This year we received many submissions which could trace themselves to those secrets. In the end of course, only three can be chosen.

That is not an easy proposal. Many of the stories we received stayed with us: some haunted us, others made us grin long after reading them--over supper or while stuck at a traffic light. Still others banged around in our heads like restless children, demanding we decide ... one way or another.

With that in mind, we are pleased to announce the three winners of the 2006 Fiction Contest, along with three Honorable Mentions:

First Place, and $200: Wendy Neudorf for "Charlie Dreams"
Second Place, and $100: Andrew McNabb for "Shed Drinker"
Third Place, and $50: A.T. Cross, for "Lambchop"

Honorable Mentions: Pierre Norman Hauser, for “Girlyman." Lawrence Lawson, for “How I Met Jesus Christ and Watched Him Walk out of My Life.” Raymond Morrison, for “Lenny and Earl Go Shooting off their Mouths.”

The winning stories will be published in our autumn (October 15th) issue. We know all of you join us in congratulating the winning writers. The quality of work submitted made this process deliciously difficult; we thank everyone who participated in the contest. Understanding, as we do, that a lot more is involved than simply sending us your submission. Keep it up. Keep writing.

Warm Regards,



Robert J Woerheide
Managing Editor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home